Hadestown--Anaïs Mitchell’s Folk Opera Up for 14 Tony's


Selected Image

The Hit Broadway Show Started in Vermont
Singer-songwriter Anaïs Mitchell’s folk-opera retelling of the Greek myth of Orpheus, a musician who ventures to the underworld to rescue his fiancée, Eurydice, had been a dream of Mitchell's for more than a decade before taking up residence in the Walter Kerr Theatre in New York City.


The show had humble beginnings, starting as a DIY theater project in Mitchell’s home state of Vermont before becoming a concept album that developed a rabid fan base.

(Yup, I'm one of these rabid fans!) I count myself lucky; I've seen various incarnations of Hadestown.

From a show at the Woodstock Town Hall Theatre, in Woodstock, Vermont in 2010 to a performance of "America Sings Hadestown" in Hartford, Connecticut in 2011.

It took on new life as an Off Broadway production, making stops in Edmonton and London before finding a home on the Great White Way. I still have not seen a performance but I'm hopeful as the run was extended to January 5, 2020.

Check out some of the production's BUZZ

The reward for all that determination to make her dream come true came when Tony Award nominations were announced last month. “Hadestown” picked up a leading 14 nods, including one for best musical.

To see what the music is all about-check out some of the videos I've recorded over the years: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC5C88ACF704671A

To explore some of Anaïs's talent as a singer songwriter, check out my music videos of her:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKa6O-DUsAoCfLeYhAzj8tBLwKhipmbx8

Or take a journey through some of my photos from a few intimate Hadestown shows: https://photosbynanci.smugmug.com/AnaisMitchell/Hadestown

Or other Anaïs performance photos: https://photosbynanci.smugmug.com/AnaisMitchell

Tune in Sunday night, June 9, 2019, 8pm ET / 5pm PT on CBS for the Tony's. I think I will this year.

Either way, how many Tonys do you think Anaïs will be taking home on Sunday night?

#hadestownforthetonys

Blog Archive

Show more