Weathersfield Weekly Blog Special Edition-Meet the Candidates

Town Meeting 2024

Annual School Meeting Saturday, March 2, 10 a.m. Weathersfield School

Annual Town Meeting-Saturday, March 2 12:30 p.m. at Weathersfield School

 Australian Ballot Voting-Tuesday, March 5 Martin Memorial Hall


Meet the Candidates-in their own words

On Tuesday, February 6, I emailed the candidates running for Selectboard and School Director and asked for their responses to five questions, with a deadline for submission on Friday, February 16th at 7 p.m. 
Below are the questions I asked and the candidates responses'.
1.Who am I?
2. Why am I running for select board/school director?
3. How long have you live in town?
4. How will your life experience help you as a Selectboard member/School Director?
5. Why should you vote for me?

Selectboard Candidates in their own words


Nathan McNaughton-2 year
1) Who am I? 
My wife and I moved to Weathersfield 19 years ago, building our residence on land that was part of my wife, Marina's, family farm. We have three kids who all have attended and thrived in the Weathersfield school system, my youngest is in her last year there. I taught and now am principal in one of the Springfield schools. I have served on the Weathersfield school board, Weathersfield school budget advisory as well as volunteering and coaching in the school. My own father lived in Springfield and spent a large amount of his adult life serving on both school and select boards as well as many other committees, which has been a motivating factor in me serving on public boards. In my down time I enjoy being with my family, coaching my kids, going to their various sports events, farming, logging, biking, running, cooking, and hosting friends and family at our house.

 2) Why am I running for Select board?
 I made the decision around two core beliefs that I hold very dear. The first is that communities are stronger if the members are engaged in civic duty. I believe it is important to be an active member of civil boards especially governance boards like the school and select boards. The other belief I hold is that it is important that people are part of the change that happens in communities, not the peanut gallery on the side, issuing judgment and criticism with no action or commitment.

 3)How long have you lived in town? 19 years

 4) How will your life experience help you as a Selectboard member?
 I have experience on the school board and understanding the governance of schools, and the select board is built on the same foundation but more focused on the infrastructure that forms the foundation for the town both present and future. I also have experience as a small farm owner in looking at the unintended consequences as well as the intended benefits of various laws and regulations. I believe that the selectboard must have a vision that is based on what the implications will be 10 and 15 years out.

 5) Why vote for me?
Here are things to consider when making your voting decision:
 1) I believe the selectboard needs to be future oriented
 2) I believe the selectboard needs to make hard decisions now that will help improve the community later
 3) I believe the selectboard should look at structures and policies to improve and increase civic involvement and ownership.
 4) I also believe that we need to continue to maintain the quality infrastructure that we have in place.
 5) Having been in education for 20 plus years including almost 10 years as an administrator, I have become well versed with the ins and outs of budgets, how state factors affect town issues, and in planning long term while dealing with everyday short term. While my experience is in education, there is a crossover with town budgets,  tax decisions and future planning. Thanks for considering, Nathan McNaughton

Wendy Smith- 2 year
No response returned to me 

Rika Henderson- 3 year/2 year remaining
1.Who am I? 
I retired from 35+ years working in small non-profits. I’m also an artist, a skilled vegetable gardener, and a good cook. Shortly after I arrived here I got involved in various local community organizations, including

• Weathersfield Historical Society (Treasurer, 2017 - present)
• Weathersfield Proctor Library (Trustee, Vice-Chair, 2018 - present)
• Weathersfield Land Preservation Association (President, present)
• Friends of the Library (2018 - present)
• Poll worker (2018 - present)
I also…
• host a VAST trail on my property,
• leave my land unposted for hunters, and open to hikers
• welcome 1,200 gravel cyclists of the VT Overland race annually
• work in the Upper Valley Land Trust’s food pantry garden

2. Why am I running for Select Board?
I love this town. There is an impressive wealth of experience, knowledge, and expertise here, and a long history of community participation. I want to help make sure Weathersfield remains a viable community for the next generations of young families, with affordable housing, good schools, energy- and food-resilience, and strong participatory government.

The Selectboard is the town’s elected governing body, and communities and democracies work best when people participate. An effective Selectboard needs to be receptive and responsive to - and respectful of - the community they represent, as well as the town employees and volunteers they work with. Unfortunately - and to the town’s detriment - that’s not the current atmosphere.
For example:
• When the Town Manager assembled a group of volunteers a few months ago to generate ideas for how the town could use the recent federal APRA funds to benefit the community, the Selectboard ignored their recommendations and instead decided to put new roofs on Town buildings.

• When 25 people came to the public hearing about proposed changes to the zoning bylaws last Spring, they were greeted as “the opposition” before anyone even had the opportunity to ask a question, let alone offer an opinion.

• Unless you were watching the selectboard meeting last week, you probably don’t know that the entire Wastewater Study Committee, which spent months researching possible solutions to accommodate additional growth in the villages, resigned en masse because their report was ignored and dismissed.

• Is it any wonder, then, that there have been no volunteers for any of the 5 openings on the Town Finance Committee?

3. How long have you live in town?
I moved to Weathersfield 9 years ago and knew immediately that I had finally found my forever home.

4. How will your life experience help you as a Selectboard member?
I bring 35+ years of community service and community-building skills in civic engagement, conservation, arts and culture, and holistic education. And in the 9 years I’ve lived here, I’ve found a large community of friends.

5. Why should you vote for me?
I want to bring out the best of Weathersfield, now and for the future. Ask anyone who’s worked with me and they’ll tell you I’m honest, enthusiastic, generous, warm and welcoming, responsible, non-judgmental, and a creative problem-solver. On top of that, I don’t have any personal agenda that might conflict with the responsibilities of being a Selector.
I am passionate about:
• community engagement
• creating an accessible, responsive, and collaborative Select Board
• responsible long-term solutions
• informed, forward-thinking leadership
• protecting our natural environment and preserving our heritage
• thriving into the future
I hope you will vote for me, Rika Henderson, on Tuesday March 5.


August Murray-3 year/2 year remaining
My name is Dr. August Murray and I am running to continue serving on the Weathersfield Select Board. I was appointed to the Select Board in September and wish to fulfill the full term. I grew up in Southern Vermont, graduating high school in Bellows Falls, then Norwich University in Northfield, VT. After completing 3 decades of military service, my wife and I started a family farm four years ago. We raise beef cattle and chickens in Perkinsville.

An important duty of the Select board is to carefully safeguard public finances by managing our taxes responsibly and controlling spending to ensure we are meeting the community’s short and long term needs. A wasteful or unnecessary spending decision can have lasting impacts. As a member of the Board, I work to serve the people of Weathersfield by making mindful decisions that improve the quality of life of all residents.

It is important to focus on local matters that impact each one of us personally, right here in our community. We need confidence that our taxes are being spent responsibly by our elected leadership, our Ordinances and Laws are being followed, and the only agendas at play within the governing body, are those that demand responsibility, transparency, and selfless service of those representing your voice.

I have always believed in serving my community and country. I joined the Army Reserves at 17 as a Private in Rutland, Vermont, and served in the U.S. Coast Guard, National Guard, and the U.S. Army. I retired from active duty at the rank of Colonel with my last assignment as Chief of Staff of the National Guard Bureau Joint Staff. I also served as a Commander three times, as an Inspector General, and an Assistant Professor of Military Science at UNH. I am a veteran of Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan. I am a recipient of the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, 8 Meritorious Service Medals, 9 Commendation Medals with one Army Commendation Medal for Heroism.

My education includes a Ph.D. in Computing Technology in Education and Ed.S. degree from NOVA Southeastern University; an MBA and HRM Certificate from Franklin Pierce University; a Masters degree in Strategic Studies from U.S. Army War College; and graduate of DoD Defense Financial Management and Fiscal Law Courses.

Thank you for the opportunity to earn your vote as a Select Board Member. I promise to always place the best interests of residents first.
Sincerely,
Dr. August Murray


Michael Todd-3 year

My name is Michael Todd. I was born and raised in Springfield, Vt. I served 3 years in the US Army, state side. I worked as a machinist for 26 years at Fellows Gear Shaper, Chamberlain mach and Rehau inc. I moved to Weathersfield in the mid 1980's as a renter and bought land in 1987. Currently I own Hawks Mountain Motorcycles on rte 106 in the Kendricks Corner area of Perkinsville. I have been involved with the Town politically since about 2008 as a; Planning Commissioner, Budget Committee member and Selectboard Member. I have learned a great deal about our Town and the people that live here. We are a community that is very closely connected and supportive of one another. My business experience, as an employee and as a business owner and employer, give me several perspectives that I rely on when dealing with the business of the Town. I have been the Chair of the SB for the last two years. My focus has been to support the Town Manager, his Supervisors and their staff. The current board works very well together and looks at all issues from the multiple perspectives we bring to the table. There is a great level of experience seated at the table that I rely on as we work together to serve the Town in the best possible way. I/we thank you for your support.

 

School Director Candidates in their own words

Deborah Richardson-1 year
1.Who am I?
My name is Deborah Richardson, Executive Assistant at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Office of Research Operations. A mother of three children, two who attended Weathersfield School. Wife of Mark Richardson, Weathersfield Proctor Library Director.

2. Why am I running for school board? 
 With one child still in the school, I feel I need to do my part as a community member.

3. How long have you lived in town? 
3 Years, however, I have been a part of this community for the past 9 years.

4. How will your life experience help you as a school board member? 
 I have served on the schools budget committee for the past two years. I have also worked as an assistant teacher, substitute, and swim coach. While an assistant teacher I was able to work with Special Education students, middle school students and high school students.

5. Why should you vote for me? I feel with my background in the education system, I have a good grasp of topics that will be addressed by the school board. Also, working on the budget for the past two years has taught me about the challenges of budgeting education.

Mark Yuengling-1 year
I am Mark Yuengling, a candidate seeking the one year School Director position. I've been a resident for 17 years employed as a fine furniture craftsman, and a consistent volunteer in all things arts and public performance based. I began assisting with productions at the school starting in 2010. During a contentious town meeting in 2020, with empty slots on the ballot, I decided to run for the vacancy. My wife and I were still putting two children through the school system and there was, and is, plenty of work still to be done involving our school systems. If successful, this will be my 5th one year term.

This particular group of School Directors, along with the Supervisory Union, and volunteers provides us extremely diverse areas of expertise and life experiences. I have enjoyed serving with such a dedicated group that seems more than able to exclude the noise and tribalism of so many other bodies and focus on the needs of our community's children. I have served as representative to the S.U. every term, and on various S.U. committees, missing one meeting due to connectivity. I would like to continue to help maximise opportunities and services for our children while being a steward of the public tax dollars. We have many more fiscal challenges coming due to a perfect storm of factors and I. for many reasons, would like to continue to serve.
Thanks for your vote, Mark Yuengling

Sara A. Steele-3 year
No response returned to me 


2024 Warnings for Town and School



The Annual District Meeting for the Weathersfield School District will take place on Saturday, March 2, 2024, starting at 10:00 a.m. at Weathersfield School (135 Schoolhouse Road, Ascutney, VT). This meeting will take place in person only. To view a copy of the warning, please go to http://wsesu.net/supervisory-union/school-boards and follow the links to Weathersfield School Board Documents, Agendas, Minutes.



Never miss out on future posts by following Weathersfield Weekly Blog.  

Nancy Nutile-McMenemy is an Upper Valley freelance photographer and writer who loves paddle, hike, attend concerts and local events in and around Weathersfield and the Upper Valley.

Scan this QR Code to see all the latest  photos in my Galleries



Have an Event/Announcement you want Advertised?
Drop me an Email (at least two (2) weeks before)
and you'll get your Event Listed Here.

Blog Archive

Show more