Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice with Brocolli


My First Try Using and Instant Pot.

 I just got my Instant Pot and performed my water test. All looks good.

My pantry has a lot of brown rice and my girlfriend said the Instant Pot make perfect rice so I thought I'd give it a try. 

I looked online for a bunch of recipes and decided to use bits and pieces to make a recipe of my own.

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

1 can mushrooms (what I had on hand)

2 Tbsp. minced homegrown garlic

2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

2 cups water (didn't have chicken broth on hand so I substituted) 

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 cup frozen broccoli florets

1/2 cup black olives

parmesan cheese, optional, grated.


Instructions:

1. Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot and add olive oil. Melt then add garlic. Sauté 3-5 minutes. Add brown rice, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and sauté another 3 minutes. Push CANCEL to turn off the pot.

2. Add chicken broth and mix well. Scrape the bottom and sides to make sure all rice and mushrooms are in the liquid and not stuck to the sides or bottom.

3. Add the chicken breast on top of the rice mixture. DO NOT mix, just leave the chicken breast sitting on top.

4. Close the Instant Pot lit and lock. Set valve to "sealing" if it doesn't automatically. Program Pressure-custom-high 22 minutes.

5. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes after the cook time then release the remaining steam by switching to "venting".

6. Remove the lid and remove the chicken to a cutting board. Add frozen broccoli and mushroom  to the rice mix and stir well.

7. Put the lid back on and lock it. Move the valve to "sealing" if it doesn't automatically and leave for 5 minutes. Then move valve switch to "venting".

8. Chop, cut or shred the cooked chicken breast. Remove the lid of the Instant Pot and add the chicken and black olives, mix well. 

9. Serve in bowls with grated parmesan cheese on top.


Next Time additions:

1 small onion chopped-added during sauté

2 carrots, large chopped-added during sauté

1 cup frozen peas-added after cooking and venting.


Nancy Nutile-McMenemy is an Upper Valley freelance photographer and writer who loves to attend concerts and local events in and around Weathersfield and the Upper Valley.

Blog Archive

Show more